Sunday, April 21, 2024

Where is the Intelligence coming into AI?

I am the survivor of library learning, without calculator graduate, encyclopedia and national geographic information gatherer, William Shakespeare to Marx reader, road map carrying driver and a whole lot of world travel and other means of learner.  In each phases of my childhood and young to university learning, never had the luxury of a calculator to solve anything.  All my friends and family who were schooled at that time, and quite sometime after that didn't have the luxury of shouting at a mobile phone to find answers.  We did just fine with large volume of memorizing and solving whatever complex issues there are today, without the computers, internet, mobiles, google, Wikipedia and all the technology advancements from the days of a scientific calculator.  I am proud to admit that the first car I purchased was a Honda Civic two door hatchback, which allowed me to carry the massive IBM computer I need to work with, as the hatchback allowed me to open the huge opening to get the massive and heavy desktop into to the car for transporting.  The two or three jobs, that paid little (but I was very happy with the work, people I worked with and also completing the school) but the Civic allowed me to get around with small cost and also lug the machines around as needed.  My favorite part was working at a credit union just backing up daily data, which was in huge spools and took a part time job every night.  Those were the days when the computers were huge and the technology was really appreciated as advancements to computing were happening exponentially.  Population, migration, travel and data safety were all advancing in rapid pace.  I was a part of globalization, business development and travel by 747 and immigration for work.  Those were really great days when a pager was an expensive gadget, and a beginning of mobile phone the size of a brick was way beyond affordable.

It's amazing to be a part of Computing, mobile, internet and EV and all other technology and human advancements and each day something that makes devices smarter (although more expensive) and information readily available anywhere and anytime.  Gone are the days when you waited for the news paper or the evening news for updates.  Now we have everything available instantly on all means of devices.  I am yelling at my mobile that is connected to my car to get directions or weather reports.

Not to belabor the advancements, it is simply that technological advancements are faster than what I am able to comprehend, and many of them are still not in my sphere of utility.  I still rely on my kids to setup my mobile apps or connecting my laptop to printer through WiFi.  I am a user of technology with whatever is needed with work or life.  I am ok with being an end user.

Now the new Artificial Intelligence discussion is in the forefront of technology discussion.  Billions being invested and companies and industries hyping AI as the great new life changing new advances, and some even hyping that AI will replace human life to a level it will replace humans and might even destroy humanity as we know it.

Today Sravya came back from her school trip and said they they had to make a quick presentation on AI and it's impact.  I had to think of the two words "Artificial" and "Intelligence".  The word artificial is means it's not real and made up, and Intelligence is the learning of humans to betterment by learning from experience.  So a combination of made-up intelligence is the basis of AI.  In no way the initial AI advances are to be diminished, but the template for AI is learning from the experiences of human beings over thousands of years.  

I really think the greatest ever invention was the the "WHEEL" as it makes us move and move faster.  Now I am not going to worry about AI replacing me in anytime soon.  Remember that man has walked the moon and come back more then 50 years ago.  I have adapted to every advancement in technology, changes to weather, life in general, so advancements in AI doesn't phase me with whatever it might bring to life.  I really think it will be another technology advancement is only going to make life either easier or complex, based on what we choose it to be.

Just think of travel, technology, markets, migration, medicine, environment, politics and everything else changes, evolves and human beings continue to choose the way they live their life.  I am not going to worry about anything that was invented by any human being will completely replace a human being.  AI will be another phase just like any other technology enhancement to wat we are living with, just might be a little faster than normal.

I still think the invention of the WHEEL is the greatest of human inventions, and using the example of man walking the moon is the driver is what had make the continued and rapid advancements in technology.  Human brain can't be replaced, it will continue to keep coming-up advancements that both help improve our lives and also cause disasters.  There is little to believe that we will think of replacing ourselves with something else.  We are safe from AI, we have a lot of other things that we already have though of like, wars, politics, religion, race and destruction.  We got a lot on our minds that we have already created and AI will only amplify our thinking, AI will not replace humans, but will certainly amplify our thinking via using our own intelligence.


No comments:

Family Feud

Indian families are either very tight knit, or ferociously opposed to each other.  As much as family comes first is propagated, we constantl...