Saturday, April 20, 2024

Decided and very little room for indecision

 Elections 2024 are as dysfunctional as they were held the last time.  Both India and USA are heading for another election cycle.  Before I harp on the process, just to remind everyone that India has Modi as the two time PM and very possible third term to lead the largest democracy and USA has unchanged Trump trying to become President again, against the incumbent Biden.  I only have voting rights in the USA, but I have to have something to say about my motherland India.

At least the last four election cycles have been quite even contests.  The electoral wave that democracies really speak of is really a myth as the deciders are voters who are unsure of who they will vote prior to the election, or who are still fully not entrenched in personalities and priorities of the political system.

Let's start with the USA, as only 2 parties: Democrats and Republicans are mostly in contention , although we might have some insignificant newbies enter the fray, but have not won any meaningful nationwide support.  I will refrain from counting the USA based new parties as they don't command the public attention.  Voters are already lined-up behind each of the 2 main parties, with few independents who might vote depending on their mood on election day.  No matter who the candidate is party affiliation goes to the ballot box in the USA, with may be less than 10% of the voters who might think of the candidates without the major political party affinity.

To make sure I identify my own political inclination in the state I live (Illinois) the presidential elections are guaranteed to vote DEMOCRAT, and I do the same.  I am a first generation immigrant, who work hard and focus on family and security, and my political knowledge i limited to just voting with the majority of my state and also aligning to my common man profile.  To reiterate my state votes democratic in presidential elections, and as do I.

The vast majority of elections since the time of Clinton (who I thought was fantastic president (out side of whatever his personal preferences were), and the younger Bush although he won the first time by hanging chads, have been quite based on personal attacks.  Obama is a Chicago native for us a very local leader, his entry into national politics really mucked-up the narrative along with the advent of social media and internet.  Although Obama was the last 2 term president in the social media age, he still maintains dignity and decorum of a gentleman president, although he is 100%aligned to being a democrat.  He remains a popular and prominent global figures as did President Carter.  They are fantastic examples of great democratic presidents, who maintained the decorum of their presidential office and continued with the aura of the job they held, and I like president Clinton as he is the last of the budget surplus and job creators that US has seen (ignoring his personal affinities).  I also liked Presidents Regan, Bush and Bush.  All of them representing democrats or republicans, until Obama's time remain presidential, and while in office and after the presidential office, became more statemen representing the USA on the global stage.  Then came Trump, and rest is well documented in social media.  We the citizens of USA decided once when he competed with Hillary Clinton, and now he is trying to become president again competing with Joe Biden who is our incumbent president.  If I have to guess who might be the next president of the USA between Biden and Trump, I will probably fail.  As with any political affiliation, I know all blue states and red sates will vote with their normal parties, and the small majority of undecided will decide the outcome.  Both men are at the age of great grandfathers, and 100% opposite.  I am unsure of voter preference as I don't hear anything different this time as I did in 2000.  The major difference is the attacks are more and more personal, and not reflective of parental preferences for how old men should behave.

2024, is different with jobs, economy, immigration and probably similar with war in different part of the world (Israel and the neighbors will continue) and Trump with a more vocal internet presence and a lot more legal issues he can deal with, while Biden has to deal with Trump and the rest of the world at his advanced age.  The thing I want to stop with media and internet is the constant barrage of negative coverage, comments and scandals.  I am sure I have survived the economy, inflation and life long enough but I really can't deal with the constant barrage of USA media and internet with the Trumpian sagas, that are unending and FOX news glorifying the groping, and Trump's un-truth media empire and also his whole family away from politics.  I would like peace and quiet, and the government focus on jobs, immigration and social security.

I hope USA puts an end to harassment of general public, and let us live in our daily routines worrying about our children, families and friends and future of our next generation, rather than the insults of really old men.  God bless America and it's people, and wishing a life that will return to the old days of Regan-Carter exchanges "It's the ECONOMY stupid".  GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Now turning to India in 2024.

India at this time has Modi's BJP and INC which is the old Nehru/now Gandhi family parties, with dozens of reginal parties.  I still like Modi.  He has no personal family affinity, which makes him my favorite kind of politician.  After 2 terms, he is still devoid of any personal scandal and money matters, which makes him a favorite of scam free voters.  Although I don't have voting rights in India, he will continue to be my choice for now.  At the national level (although he is creeping up in years, work seems to keep him in good health) I don't see an immediate alternate to him as the national leader within his party or the opposition.  There is really no national party that has the agenda of Modi's BJP with any substantive issues, except the hatred for Modi.  If you look at Modi's agenda it is streamlined with the economic growth and global image of India, which are regularly publicized.  Modi is also an effective social media user, who is good at voicing his personal and party's agenda.

I don't believe there will be a change in India's national leadership.  It will be unlikely with Modi leading the charge in the foreseeable future, but again Indian voters like regional/caste/societal politics.  It I am a betting man Modi will be back in 2024, and he is to wishing him a successful third term.  I am really OK with a man who has no personal affiliations to worry about leading a nation.  JAI HIND.

No comments:

Family Feud

Indian families are either very tight knit, or ferociously opposed to each other.  As much as family comes first is propagated, we constantl...